Renesas Electronics Corporation announced the space industrys first low side Gallium Nitride (GaN) field effect transistor (FET) driver and GaN FETs that enable primary and secondary DC/DC converter power supplies in launch vehicles and satellites, as well as downhole drilling and high reliability industrial applications.
These devices power ferrite switch drivers, motor control driver circuits, heater control modules, embedded command modules, 100V and 28V power conditioning, and redundancy switching systems.
The ISL7023SEH 100V, 60A GaN FET and ISL70024SEH 200V, 7.5A GaN FET use the base die manufactured by Efficient Power Conversion Corporation (EPC). The GaN FETs provide up to 10 orders of magnitude better performance than silicon MOSFETs while reducing package size by 50 percent. They also reduce power supply weight and achieve higher power efficiency with less switching power loss. At 5m٠(RDSON) and 14nC (QG), the ISL70023SEH enables the industrys best figure of merit (FOM). Both GaN FETs require less heat sinking due to reduced parasitic elements, and their ability to operate at high frequencies allows the use of smaller output filters, which achieve excellent efficiencies in a compact solution size. Manufactured using a MIL-PRF-38535 Class V-like flow, the ISL70023SEH and ISL70024SEH offer guaranteed electrical specifications over the military temperature range and lot-by-lot radiation assurance for high dose rate 100krad(Si) and low dose rate 75krad(Si).
The ISL70040SEH low side GaN FET driver powers the ISL7002xSEH GaN FETs with a regulated 4.5V gate drive voltage and splits the outputs to adjust FET turn-on and turn-off speeds. Operating with a supply voltage of 4.5V to 13.2V, the FET driver provides high current source and sink capability for high frequency operation, while offering both inverting and non-inverting gate drive to provide flexibility in power supply designs. Its fail-safe protection on the logic inputs eliminates unintentional switching when they are not actively driven. The ISL70040SEH provides reliable performance when exposed to total ionizing dose (TID) or heavy ions, and is immune to destructive single event effects (SEE) up to 16.5V with linear energy transfer (LET) of 86MeV•cm2/mg. The GaN FET driver uses a MIL-PRF-38535 Class V manufacturing flow and wafer-by-wafer radiation assurance testing.
Key Features of ISL70023SEH and ISL70024SEH GaN FETs•Very low RDSON at 5m٠(typ) – ISL70023SEH; and 45m٠(typ) – ISL70024SEH
• Ultra-low total gate charge 14nC (typ) – ISL70023SEH; and 2.5nC (typ) – ISL70024SEH
• Radiation hardness assurance (lot-by-lot):oHigh Dose Rate (HDR) (50-300rad(Si)/s):100krad(Si)oLow Lose Rate (LDR) (0.01rad(Si)/s): 75krad(Si)
• SEE hardness at LET 86MeV
• cm2/mgoISL70023SEH, VDS = 100V, VGS = 0VoISL70024SEH, VDS = 160V, VGS = 0V
• Full military temperature range operationoTA = -55ƃ to +125ƃoTJ = -55ƃ to +150ƃ
• EAR99 Versions available Key Features of ISL70040SEH GaN FET Driver
• Wide operating voltage range from 4.5V to 13.2V
• Up to 14.7V logic inputs (regardless of VDD level), inverting and non-inverting inputs•
Full military temperature range operationoTA = -55ƃ to +125ƃoTJ = -55ƃ to +150ƃ•Radiation hardness assurance (wafer-by-wafer):oHigh Dose Rate (HDR) (50-300rad(Si)/s):100krad(Si)oLow Lose Rate (LDR) (0.01rad(Si)/s): 75krad(Si)
• SEE hardness at LET = 86MeV
• cm2/mg:ono SEB/SEL, VDD = 16.5Vono static input SET, VDD = 4.5V and VDD = 13.2V
• Electrically screened to DLA SMD 5962-17233
• EAR99 Versions available The ISL70023SEH 100V, 60A GaN FET or ISL70024SEH 200V, 7.5A GaN FET can be combined with the ISL70040SEH low side GaN FET driver and the ISL78845ASEH PWM controller to create launch vehicle and satellite switched mode power supplies. AvailabilityThe rad-hard ISL70023SEH 100V, 60A GaN FET and ISL70024SEH 200V, 7.5A GaN FET are available now in hermetically sealed 4-lead 9.0mm x 4.7mm SMD packages. For more information on the ISL70023SEH, please visit: www.intersil.com/products/isl70023seh. For more information on the ISL70024SEH, please visit: www.intersil.com/products/isl70024seh. The rad-hard ISL70040SEH low side GaN FET driver is available now in a hermetically sealed 8-lead 6mm x 6mm SMD package. For more information on the ISL70040SEH, please visit: www.intersil.com/products/isl70040seh.